Job Title: Administrative Staff Member – A fixed, short-term, part-time contract
Contract Duration: January 8 – May 17, 2018
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 9:00am – 5:00pm (28 hours/week)
Hourly Wage: $25/hour
PSAC Local 901
The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) Local 901 represents over 2000 academic workers (Graduate Teaching Assistants, Teaching Fellows, Research Assistants, and Postdoctoral Scholars) at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.
PSAC Local 901 is seeking a part-time Administrative Staff Member for a short-term contract, to provide secretarial, bookkeeping, communications and administrative support to the Local. The position works closely with the Executive Committee and is responsible for supporting the Executive, members, and Stewards to ensure efficient operation of the office. These contract dates are fixed and the position is a temporary replacement for a staff member on leave.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Main point of contact at the Local’s office space; maintaining records, office calendar, membership database, answering the phone and members’ emails, scheduling meetings and room bookings, purchasing office supplies as needed.
- Responding to member inquiries and making referrals to appropriate Executive Members, Stewards and Committee chairs as required. Being well versed in PSAC’s Collective Agreements, By-laws, and policies.
- Providing administrative support to the Executive, Steward Council, AGM, SGM, and related member committee meetings including circulating information, arranging meetings, and project work.
- Assisting with administrative tasks such as updating the website and communicating with the membership and the broader community.
- Coordinating the Local’s participation in Orientation week for the 2018 Winter semester.
- Administrating the PSAC 901 Childcare Bursary for 2017 Fall and 2018 Winter Semester.
- Assisting with the union’s financial management, including usage of Quickbooks.
- Liaising with the PSAC Regional Office.
- Other tasks and special projects as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience and interest in Canadian union culture.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for dealing with a wide variety of individuals in a helpful, sensitive and professional manner.
- Organizational and time-management skills.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Discretion in handling confidential material and the ability to maintain member confidentiality.
- Ability to take initiative, work with minimal supervision, make independent decisions and improve overall efficiency within the Local.
- Comprehensive knowledge of word processing and data management software.
- Quickbooks experience an asset.
This contract-position will start on January 8th, 2018 and end on May 17, 2018. There will be mandatory training in November 2017 with training dates and times tbd.
To be considered for the position, please include the following as a single PDF file;
a cover letter outlining your qualifications;
- a current resume (c/v);
- three references.
Email your application to: [email protected]
Application deadline: October 27, 2017.
If you have any questions about this posting please contact:
Craig Berggold, President, PSAC 901: [email protected]
Morgan Oddie, Information Officer: [email protected]
PSAC 901 is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Applications are encouraged from equity-seeking groups including women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.