Posting Date: 8th October, 2020
Job Posting: Contract Position: Researcher
Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) Local 901 is looking for candidates with experience in investigatory research and an interest in social justice to conduct a short-term research project in connection with Defund Police YGK into the Kingston City budget and spending on/by the Kingston Police Service.
Period: October 25th to November 25th
Hours: 25 hours at RA wage (42.73/hour)
- Confer with the Defund Police YGK group and the Just Recovery group regarding the parameters of the research and to obtain research already collected.
- Research into the Kingston City Budget, the amount allocated to the police with the most comprehensive breakdown of the budget available, research into past increases/decreases to the Kingston Police, research into police salaries in comparison to other City funded jobs, research into budgetary funding outside the funds from the City of Kingston (i.e. funding bringing back the police horse after cut from the budget).
- Identify budgetary alternatives for the redirection of Kingston Policing funds.
- As a result of this short-term research project we expect the production of a 15 page document on the City of Kingston budget in relation to the Kingston police with the intent to use the acquired information for a targeted campaign to defund the police in the 2021 Kingston budget.
- One interim meeting in order to discuss progress of the research.
Position requirements/ Required Experience:
- Experience with budgetary and/or archival research.
- Commitment to racial and social justice.
The application deadline: October 19th, 2020, at 4:00pm.
(The selected candidate will be notified within 5 working days of application and will be expected to start immediately after.)
- Email a single PDF document with the candidate’s name, affiliation (and employment, if applicable) at Queen’s University, Statement of Interest (500–600 words), and curriculum vitae (maximum two pages) to Equity Officer Rohit Revi at [email protected].
- Candidates may be invited for an online interview.
PSAC Local 901 is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Applications are encouraged from equity-seeking groups, including Women, Indigenous Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, and Persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Download the job posting here: 901 Job Posting – Researcher [Defund YGK Police].