Hiring five part-time Campaign Mobilizers for the Teaching Assistant/Teaching Fellow Bargaining Campaign
Job Description: Temporary, Part-time Bargaining Campaign Mobilizer, PSAC 901
Position Title: Unit 1 Campaign Mobilizers
Posting Type: Internal
Position Type: 4 weeks, part-time ($600 each for 15 hours work)
Position Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017
Application Deadline: 9:00pm, Monday, November 6, 2017 (interviews Tuesday & Wednesday Nov 7-8)
Starting Date: Friday, November 10, 2017
Workplace Location: Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) Local 901 represents approximately 2000 academic workers at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario. PSAC 901 is comprised of Unit 1 (Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows) and Unit 2 (Postdoctoral Scholars) and Unit 3 (Research Assistants). The Unit 1 Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows collective agreement expired on April 30th, 2017 and we are hiring five part-time, temporary campaign mobilizers for the ongoing negotiations for a new collective agreement with the Employer (Queen’s University). The ideal candidate is an organized, people-friendly, mobilizer who will work closely with the Unit 1 Bargaining Committee, the Bargaining Campaign Assistant, and the PSAC Local 901 Staff Administrator.
Key initiatives and responsibilities will include and are not limited to:
- Coordinating with the campaign coordinator, other mobilizers, and union stewards to ensure a cross-section of members are aware of bargaining demands by organizing departmental meetings, union office coffee meetings, and initiating individual meetings as required
- Assist with member information sessions and tabling on campus
- Promoting the campaign goals throughout the period
- Relaying ideas and concerns from members to the campaign coordinator and Bargaining Committee.
The skills and qualifications for this temporary contract are:
- Experience and interest in the labor movement in an academic context is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational background, and experience working with a cross-section of the membership
- Friendly interpersonal skills, ability to work in both group and independently to accomplish goals
Please include a one-page cover letter outlining your qualifications, including two references and a current CV (maximum three pages).
Email your application as a single .pdf file to Craig Berggold: email@example.com.
For inquiries please contact Bargaining Campaign Assistant, Morgan Oddie: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PSAC 901 is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Applications are encouraged from equity-seeking groups, including Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, and Persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Download the description Mobilizer-PT-Temp-Unit-1-